Cassandra Wilson: Grammy-award winning jazz singer











Do people dress better when they are in love?



"I think they do. I think you are absolutely right. They are more conscious of loving themselves because in order to love someone else, you’ve got to love yourself."



  

On her style:



Do you consider yourself a Southern girl at heart?

Oh, yes. I’ve got cowboy boots and everything.



Any particular brand?

Justin.






Any by other Texas brands, like Lucchese?




No, I don’t go that far. I’m just a basic Southern girl.






Do you have a favorite designer?


Roberto Cavalli. The fabric he uses are really exquisite. They just jump out at you. They feel wonderful and the shape he creates are very feminine, especially if you’re a full bodied woman. He works a lot with designs that accentuate the décolletage, which is my favorite part of my body. (She's pictured in the above photo wearing a Roberto Cavalli dress.)





So you perform wearing Cavalli as well?


I wish. I have to have something that’s no too close to the body; something that allows for movement. I perspire a lot too, so I need fabrics that can take it without showing it. That’s another great thing about Cavalli. You can work out in his fabrics, and they won’t show any perspiration.





What are you most comfortable wearing at home in Jackson, Miss.?


I’m big on tunics, leggings and cowboy boots. I do flowy dresses in the spring time.





How long have you had locks?


My son is 22, so I've had my locks 23 years.





What do you think about the natural hair movement (locks, Afros, twists, etc.) among young African American women now?


I’m very excited to see the return of the natural. I’ve been waiting for it. When I was in high school and college, it was the biggest thing. It was a cultural awakening. I’m so happy to see it return.



Click here to read more from my interview with Cassandra Wilson.