My interview with Christian Louboutin and why he loves red



In 2006, I interviewed shoe designer Christian Louboutin by phone. He has a rich French accent that's quite intoxicating. I had to really concentrate, so I wouldn't miss the important parts. He opened his first boutique in Paris in 1992 and produces more than 100,000 pairs of shoes a year. The red soles actually happened by accident, he explained. His first collection, with all black soles, seemed to lack energy. He borrowed red nail polish from his assistant, who spent hours painting her nails, and applied a touch. Then he added more. 



The red soles have seductive powers, he said. His customers say they attract lovers.





As the famed red-soled shoe designer comes to
Houston this week, I pulled out that interview and thought I'd share some highlights:




Why red soles? 





If you see a woman walking with her back to you, you see her hair and then you see the

(red) soles. Red is a very flirtatious color. It's an invitation to flirt."



Where do your ideas come from?

Watching women. If you're a free spirit and let your eyes drift around, anything can be inspiring.



If you could do anything else, what would you do?

Design a garden. Or write a French movie with lots of talking.



Who are your favorite designers?

Roland Mouret, Alexander McQueen, Jean Paul Gaultier, Rochas and Yves Saint Laurent.



If you were animal, what would you be?

A cat. They are so independent.



Hobbies?

Traveling, drawing and landscaping.



Favorite music?

Belly-dancing music. It reminds me of women dancing.



Does anything make you unhappy?

I can't afford to be unhappy, because it would show in my designs.